When connecting to a terminal server (older versions), you get the following error:
“The remote was disconnected because the local computer’s client access license could not be upgraded or renewed.”
(h/t Nick R for finding the solution)
You are reporting a generic Microsoft Terminal Services Licensing error. Instead of giving you the long boring details, here is how we recommend to fix it.
The solution requires modifying the registry. If you are not comfortable, please contact your I.T. administrator or general computer support staff for assistance.
- Run the following steps on the “Field Computer”, not the server in the office.
- Run “RegEdit” to open the registry editor.
- Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing
- Right-Click on “MSLicensing”, and left-click on “Delete” to remove the key.
- Reboot your computer.
- Retry your remote desktop connection.